Print your own fabric yardage, 2 days
Join Emily Ruth Prints online to learn how to design and carve your very own block for printing on fabric! Students will learn how to design, carve, and print an original design from start to finish and will come away with 2 yards of printed fabric perfect for sewing garments or homegoods. Day 1 we will be learning the basics of carving and will talk though how to create a design for fabric. Day 2 we will learn the art of block printing on fabric.
Emily has been block printing for nearly 6 years, and her small business Emily Ruth Prints makes block-printed textiles that are sewn into bags, pouches, and items for the home. Emily emphasizes using up-cycled textiles and enjoys helping students find their artistic flow through block printing.
- Willingness to learn love of fabric!
What you’ll learn:
- How to design carve a block for printing
- The basics of using water based inks to print on fabric
- How to create a repeat print on fabric suitable for garment sewing
- Setting fabric for washability
- 2 yards of woven fabric: preferably linen, cotton, or a blend. Make it Sew has many options to choose from and will be happy to help you with a selection
- Kits containing a 4×6″ block, cutting tool, as well as other materials needed for the process will be available at Make it Sew the weekend before the class.
- Access to a computer or tablet with a camera and internet. There will be limited space available for up to 2 students to attend class at Make It Sew.
Pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric as needed before class. Make sure you have ample table space so you can spread out and print your fabric. It is recommended that students source imagery they are interested in carving onto their block before class begins.